Friday, September 27, 2013

Intercambio

Write.in.your.blog. 
write in your blog, write in your blog, write in your blog. Just woke up for my siesta, as always a million things on my too do list, having a cup of tea on my new little patio, as the sun is falling into a perfect sunset [perfect sunet. noun. a break in the clouds just above the horizon. beach viewing worthy.] Perfect time to put everything else on hold (even Pinterest) breath, reflect, smile, and write in my blog.
image.jpeg

As always so much to be thankful for. Going to 'Intercambio' last night was one of the best decisions i have made here. Typically I wouldn't go out by myself with no intentions of meeting up with people i know, just to meet people and mingle. My goal lately has been to push myself out side my comfort zone as much as possible. I am discovering that it going to be my key to success while I'm here. It is no surprise the language barrier has been the root of most all of my struggles since i left, but understanding and being able to communicate is not going to just come to me easily. Hanging out with other americans, listening my favorite american songs, looking up american movies, and even eating my favorite american foods may give me momentary comfort but without completely emerging myself in Spainish culture and temporally forgetting my old American habits I will never fully adjust to living here. Until i learn the language better (much better) I am still going to be completely and totally exhausted at the end of everyday. 
I never thought about the toll being submerged in a foreign language would have on me, and i don't think i could have possibly understood it without experiencing it for myself. For example watching TV usually such a mindless easy thing to do... here exhausting! Its funny my new roommate Ana is always asking me do you understand it or do you understand us when we are all in the living room watching TV or her and someone else is speaking spanish and i laugh to myself. Are you kidding me I have been at school all day, then working with the kids struggling to get their attention and understand an once of what they are telling me, trying to communicate with the clerk at the grocery store or explain to the girl at the photocopy place the pages i need for my class, it is the end of the day and i am so tired and a little overwhelmed... no i do not understand a single word because for a moment i don't feel like putting in the effort to translate what Homer Simpson is saying on the TV right now. It takes so much focus to do anything and everything in a foreign country.

Intercambio. So yesterday Elena, my host sister, invited me to go to intercambio. Its a group that anyone can join were each week they pick a pub and people for all over the world meet to have a few drink and exchange language practice. So this invite was ideal... except for the fact that Elena wasn't going to be able to make it there this week. Is it still an invite when the other person isn't going with you? Well anyways it was thursday night (Thank God my weeks are only Monday through Thursday), I'm fighting to get rid of a sore throat and fend off a cold i feel coming on, I just finished meeting with the third family i will be working for (or should i say families since it will be 3 kids from 3 different families i will be tutoring), after i have already been at school then tutored the twins (who have been having wonderful little meltdowns this week), I've got weeks worth of studying and lesson plans to make (still need to do that) , oh an tomorrow morning i am supposed to go to Granda with all the other American students so going out at 10 to a place i don't know with a bunch of people i don't know sounds great! haha but i knew this would be the perfect opportunity to do what i have been saying and push myself outside my comfort zone. Also the Pub for this week was literally two blocks for my apartment so i took that as a sign that God was giving me a good opportunity and i need to take advantage.      [In the last sermon I watched online from Flood Pastor Matt asked the question what are the things in your life and throughout your day that God is nudging you to do? I am focusing on being more aware of what God is nudging me to do and as i have been reminded of often since i've been here Walk[ing] by Faith.]      After walking around the block a few times looking for Fin McCools, the pub where intercambio was, i saw and overhead two girls speaking english. I figured since there aren't many english speaking people in Jaen, being that it is not a tourist destination, the were probably going to the same place so i introduced myself and sure enough they were going there and showed me the way. As we open the door to what seems to be a small quiet little pub english and spanish with every kind of accent floods the street. Instantly i think what the heck am i doing here... What are you supposed to do when walking into a bar full of strangers you want to meet... Just walk up to a group of people mid-converstaion and join in (not even really knowing the language) and say Yo Soy Ashley?! yep. thats basically what i did haha. But it turned out great I met a couple of Spanish natives who spoke great english, well some of them, and some other people from different parts of the world trying to learn spanish. I was so excited to meet so many American or other english speaking people mostly 20 something living here or near by teaching english. Hopefully these new contacts can lead me some advice as to what the hell to do with the now 7 kids i tutor every week haha. But i have been trying to avoid the comfort of making friends with English speakers and instead make friends with Spanish speakers and i feel like i was able to accomplish that last night. I went home smiling and feeling proud of myself :) 

Well after journaling or writing in a blog i see that i tend to ramble quite a lot but it is well after sun set and the millions of things i had planed to get done today (the reason i didn't go to Granada) will just have to get done tomorrow because Elena has 'invited' me to a Flamenco show with her friends and possibly even her this time haha :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment